Gavin Kent/ People / Mirrorpix/Newscom/The Mega Agency
Princess Diana made a private confession to her close friend, Rosa Monckton, in her final days.
Monckton, 72, spoke to People in a story published Monday, November 24, revealing the late mother of two told her she wished she had never done the Panorama interview in 1995, because of how it affected her sons, Prince William, who was 13 at the time it came out, and Prince Harry, then 11.
“She told me she regretted doing it because of the harm she thought it had done to her boys,” Mockerton told the outlet.
According to People, Diana made her candid admission to Mockerton during a trip to Greece together in August 1997, just ten days before she tragically perished in a car accident in Paris on August 31, 1997.
In the infamous interview, Diana spoke to journalist Martin Bashir about many aspects of her life, including her mental health struggles and her relationship with King Charles III, now 77, whom she was separated from at the time.
Kent Gavin / Mirrorpix/Newscom/The Mega Agency
“There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded,” Diana admitted, referring to the sovereign’s now-wife Queen Camilla.
As Star previously reported, the Daily Mail published a retrospective article on November 19, explaining that William did not take the interview well.
Robert Lacey claimed in his book Battle of Brothers that William, now 43, saw the interview by himself in his housemaster’s office at boarding school, and afterward was found “Slumped on the sofa” with his “eyes red with tears,” per the Daily Mail.
Additionally, Royal biographer Penny Junor noted that William was “angry and incredulous” after the interview, and he told his classmate that when he saw Diana’s face on the screen, he was “overcome with a feeling of dread,” according to the outlet.
Meanwhile, Harry, now 41, reportedly opted not to watch the interview at the time.