This article was originally published on CBD Seniors. To view the original article and recipe, click here.
Ready in 1 day + 15 minutes
Makes 4 cups
Horchata is a delicious traditional Mexican drink typically made with rice soaked in water for its unique flavor. By combining white rice, cinnamon, vanilla and a little sweetener, plus our secret ingredient of hemp hearts, this is one horchata recipe you will want to have ready on file!
Horchata is a versatile drink that can be made with a variety of ingredients. This dairy-free option ups the health aspect by adding hemp hearts, using almonds and substituting granulated sugar for agave nectar and coconut sugar. Hemp hearts are an excellent source of protein and are a popular alterative for vegetarians and vegans. This heart-healthy ingredient is known for aiding in cholesterol levels while adding a boost in antioxidants and amino-acids. All the ingredients come together in the blender, then are strained to create this luscious, smooth and satisfying drink.
This simple recipe is a great one to try adding your favorite CBD oil to. By blending your unflavored CBD in with the rest of the ingredients, you are able to add some extra therapeutic properties and maintain the beautiful spiced flavor of the drink. CBD has been thought to work with endocannabinoid system to help reduce anxiety, manage pain and limit inflammation. Combining CBD with this Horchata recipe could make it the perfect bedtime beverage or start to your day.
- 1 cup of hemp hearts
- ¾ c cup of blanched almonds
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- ⅓ cup of coconut sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 cups of plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of ice
- Soak the hemp hearts, almonds, rice and cinnamon sticks in water, about 2 inches of water from the top. Soak for 24 hours.
- In a small pot, combine one cup of water with the coconut sugar and heat it on the stove until all the sugar is dissolved
- In a blender, mix the hemp heart, almond, cinnamon stick mixture, coconut sugar water, agave, vanilla and almond milk. Blend everything until it is well mixed and all the flavor front he ingredients are extracted.
- Strain the whole thing into a big bowl or pitcher using a fine strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove all the pulverised almonds and cinnamon to form a silky and creamy horchata,
- Serve in a tall pitcher with ice, pour into glasses, and enjoy!
- Soaking overnight is very important to extract optimal flavor from your ingredients. If you are pressed for time, 6-8 hours of soaking will do.
- Feel free to add more sugar to your liking.
- Add ½ a cup of spiced rum to this whole recipe for a nice hemp heart rumchata!