It’s time to be fair and hear the other side of the story, at least the Duggars thought so. They wanted their chance to defend their family brand by sitting down with Megyn Kelly for an hour to talk about the molestation their son Josh Duggar, 27, is being accused of that ultimately brought down the Duggar empire in less than 24 hours in May.
1. “Josh had a tender conscience and that he was the one that came and shared on his own even though the others didn’t know anything of his wrongdoing,”— Michelle Duggar.
The 19 Kids & Counting parents say they were “shocked,” but Michelle didn’t want to stay stuck on Josh’s molestation. Instead, she brought out some positive things about Josh’s personality, like his “tender conscience” about saying something even though his younger sisters wouldn’t have ever known anyway because they were asleep.
2. When Josh Duggar was taken to the police station by his parents to report what he’d done, Jim Bob and Michelle said “Josh told everything.”
The problem is, the police officer who took the report is saying Josh only mentioned one molestation incident. And Megyn Kelly followed up with—why would this former policeman make this up? The Duggar parents said they have no idea.
3. Jim Bob and Michelle believe an agenda or a bribe caused the police report about Josh Duggar to surface, but they also clearly remember a specific woman official involved in the handling of the report.
“Josh had talked to her one day at a meeting and he said hi to her and stuck out his hand and she turned and wouldn’t talk to him. She was getting ready to retire and just even a few weeks ago she said, ‘I’m getting ready to retire and there’s a few things I want to do before I retire.'” Jim Bob thinks he and his family was part of her agenda.
4. “He said he was just curious about girls, and he had gone in and basically just touched them over their clothes while they were sleeping.”—Jim Bob said about when Josh came to them about what he’d done.
Clothes or not, unwanted touching is still molesting. Social media blew up the most about this comment after The Kelly File episode aired last night.
5. Michelle insistently kept repeating that Josh’s sisters were too young to realize what their brother was doing to them, so they didn’t know it was wrong. “It was more his heart, his intent. He knew that it was wrong. But they weren’t even aware. They were like, you know, it wasn’t—to them they didn’t probably even understand that it was an improper touch.”
She said their role as parents was to tell their daughters what had happened, but Michelle was clearly undermining the situation and it wasn’t that bad since the girls aren’t technically traumatized by what their brother did to them.
6. “We had nothing to hide. We’d taken care of all that years before,” Jim Bob referring to why his family decided to kick start their 2008 reality show.
The key phrase many are questioning is: “We’d taken care of all that years before.” Taken care of what, exactly? There’s more?
When Megyn Kelly closed down the interview by asking what’s next for the 19 Kids & Counting show, Jim Bob and Michelle didn’t seem too interested in whether the show would continue or not. “We are fine whether they film us or not,” Jim Bob said.
Watch a clip from the Duggar interview right here!