Universal Archive/Universal Images Group/Newscom/The Mega Agency | Ralph Notaro / MEGA
Hulk Hogan has passed away at 71.
It’s been reported that the former pro wrestler died on Thursday, July 24, after medical personnel responded to a call to his home in Florida for an alleged “cardiac arrest,” according to TMZ. That morning, police and medical vehicles were spotted parked outside of his home and he was reportedly seen being carried out of the house on a stretcher and into an ambulance.
Sources confirmed that staff from the Clearwater Fire & Rescue treated him at the scene. He was then transported to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Police are expected to hold a press conference on the incident on Thursday.
Mega
Earlier this month, there were rumors that Hogan’s health was taking a downward turn following reports that he was in and out of the hospital amid his recovery from a major back surgery.
On Tuesday, July 22, manager Jimmy Hart took to X and claimed he was just fine.
“Hulk is doing great, doing phenomenal!” Hart said. “Last night at karaoke with Nick [Hogan] was absolutely fantastic, baby!!!”
Hogan’s wife, Sky Daily Hogan, also hit back at some of the more dramatic rumblings and clarified in her Instagram Story that her husband was “definitely not in a coma.”
“His heart is strong, and there was never any lack of oxygen or brain damage… none of those rumors are true,” she said at the time.
FAITH MORAN/MEGA
Hogan rose to fame in the world of professional wrestling in the 1980s. Known for his big personality and memorable catchphrases, he sparked an era known as “Hulkmania” and his fans swiftly adopted the nickname “Hulkmaniacs.”
Throughout his decades-long career, the six-time WWE Champion has been a key figure in making wrestling a global pop culture phenomenon, competing against a number of wrestling legends, from Andre the Giant and “Rowdy Roddy” Piper to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.
He was initially inducted into the WWE [World Wrestling Entertainment] Hall of Fame in 2005. However, he lost his spot in 2015 after an audio recording surfaced of him repeatedly using racial slurs. Over the next three years, he made several apologies and sought out volunteer work. Believing he was remorseful, the WWE reinstated him into the Hall of Fame in 2018.
He has remained a controversial figure in the public eye due to his past actions and his political beliefs.