Star Magazine logo

STAR Pays for Scoops!

Button which opens 'Send us a scoop' formClick here!

or call (800) 609-8312

Family At War

Alan Thicke’s Widow Claims Their Prenup Is Invalid — But His Sons Disagree!

The late ‘Growing Pains’ star was worth an estimated $40M when he died.

THE sudden death last December of Growing Pains star Alan Thicke, beloved by fans as “America’s Dad,” was a tragic blow to his family. But if his two oldest sons had hoped to mourn his passing in peace, unfortunately, that wasn’t to be. They now find themselves embroiled in a nasty legal battle with their father’s widow, who, in what seems to be a grab for more money, is reportedly claiming that their prenup is invalid.
On May 16, Robin and Brennan Thicke — Alan’s sons from his first marriage to soap star Gloria Loring — filed a court petition in L.A. to “honor the memory of their father, [and] protect his legacy… from being undermined by avarice and overreaching of his third wife, Tanya Callau,” whom he wed in 2005.
Alan was worth an estimated $40 million when he died of a ruptured aorta at age 69. He left his three sons (including Carter, 19, from his second marriage) equal shares of his Carpinteria, Calif., ranch, 75 percent of his personal effects and 60 percent of his estate. Among the bequests the star left to Tanya, 41, were a $500,000 life insurance policy, the remaining 40 percent of his estate, and the ranch’s furnishings, as well as the opportunity to live there while paying maintenance.
However, says the sons’ attorney Alex Weingarten, “Now that Alan is dead, Tanya claims there are numerous problems with the Trust and the Prenuptial Agreement.” Brennan, 42, and Robin, 40 (who are cotrustees of the estate), reject her claims, pointing out that their father accumulated most of his wealth long ­before he met her in 1999, and that she had no problem with Alan’s most recent revision of the trust in early 2016.
They also allege that Tanya — who says she sacrificed “opportunities to pursue and advance her own career” as an actress when she married Alan — has “threatened to make her claims fodder” for public consumption if they don’t “succumb to her demands.”
While Callau’s attorney Adam ­Streisand counters that Alan’s sons “have chosen this distasteful public smear tactic to bully Tanya,” Weingarten claims that Brennan and Robin have “made every effort” to resolve the matter out of court. “Alan’s death was an intense shock to his children,” says a source. “For them to have to deal with this out of the blue is just so painful.”