What you need to know about this young-adult sci-fi epic trumpeted as the next Hunger Games.
1. First, the plot: In a dystopian Chicago, all teens are divided into factions based on their strengths (intelligence, bravery, selflessness, honesty, peacefulness). Then along comes Beatrice “Tris” Prior (Shailene Woodley), who fits into three at once — making her a threat to the status quo.
2. Known for her role on The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Shailene, 22, is ready for superstardom. “I’m not going to change my life at all,” she says. “I love the way I live.”
3. When it was time to cast Tris’ love interest, Tobias, producers chose unknown Theo James. His most memorable credit: dying in season one of Downton Abbey.
4. It took three people three hours to apply Theo’s soon-to-be-iconic back tattoo (via transfer paper that was cut into 40 pieces).
5. Kate Winslet, who plays the movie’s main bad gal, was pregnant during filming. (Look for the briefcase blocking her baby bump!)
6. Mekhi Phifer is Max, the mysterious leader of Tris’ dauntless faction. He signed on because of his 14-year-old son, who’s read all the books. “He has never cared about anything I’ve done, but now he’s really excited,” Mekhi tells Star. “I’m taking him to the premiere.”
7. Summit Entertainment bought the rights to Veronica Roth‘s novel in 2011, before it was published.
8. As of January 1, more than 10 million copies in the three-book Divergent series have been sold.
9. Get ready for merchandising! you can buy a “Tris” Barbie for just $24.95.
10. Divergent comes out on March 21, and production on the sequel, Insurgent, begins in May. See you in 2015!